POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.poser : Which version of Poser? : Re: Which version of Poser? Server Time
27 Apr 2024 15:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Which version of Poser?
From: Gilles Tran
Date: 18 Feb 2004 07:40:14
Message: <40335d2e$1@news.povray.org>

news:40333719$1@news.povray.org...

> So... Should I spend my hard erned cash on a Poser 4 or Poser 5 upgrade?
> From the price list at http://www.egisys.de/onlinestore/index_en.html, I
can

> Poser 4 and 5? Is it worth the extra cash for Poser 5's functionality?

P5 has better default characters, a better internal renderer, a slightly
better interface and some very interesting new features (dynamic clothes and
the ability to create Poser characters out of non-boned models
particularly). Dynamic hair is less useful for POV-Ray users because there's
no good way to export it right now. The face editor is nice but limited to
the default P5 characters. I'm very fond of the dynamic clothes feature
which was worth the upgrade for me.

Now it's also a resource hog, and it has a troubled history of bugginess
which took 3 service releases to solve, so many people didn't upgrade. It
seems OK now, but it still has occasional issues (not that Poser was ever
ultra-stable either...). If you can afford it and have a fast machine with
lots of RAM (I have 1 GB) P5 is very good. Otherwise P4 (aka "Poser artist")
remains a good bargain.

G.

--

http://www.oyonale.com